Thursday, October 22, 2009

Amsterdam, part 1

To soften the crushing loss in Gelsenkirchen, Greg and I decided to take the train to Amsterdam for a few days. I saw a tourist record the view out of his window for the entire train ride. I wonder how many times he's gone back and watched that.

Anyway, Amsterdam looked exactly the way I had imagined it. Tight, beautiful buildings, bridges, canals, and Dutch people. A lot of them. We stayed right in the center of it all at The Flying Pig hostel. During matches, they dropped a big screen down for the projection TV in the "lobby" (big room with cushions and chairs; not unlike an American college general area room). People lit up all over the place, as if cued by a tourism director. I don't think photos were allowed inside the hostel, but we took a few dark shots of the room to use up the disposable camera:




I'll probably never stay in a hostel again. That said, Amsterdam is an amazing city.









No comments:

Post a Comment